Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is something that unfortunately affects quite a lot of people: most of the victims are women, but it can also affect men and, in marriages where one partner is abusing the other, it can also have an impact on children.

Domestic violence always needs to be taken very seriously; if you are the victim of domestic abuse, whether it is emotional or physical, don’t remain a victim – make sure you tackle the problem by reporting it to the police as they are often in the best position to take swift action against the person abusing you.

There are also ways in which a solicitor may be able to help you if you are experiencing domestic abuse. For instance, they might be able to help you apply for court orders under the 1989 Children Act in order to protect your children from harm. This could take the form of residence orders, prohibitive steps orders or contact orders.


A solicitor can also help you apply for a non-molestation order [a type of injunction that can be used to stop your partner or ex-partner from hurting, intimidating or, harassing you or your children in anyway ] under the 1996 Family Law Act. Any breach of this sort of order is a criminal offence and is taken very seriously by the courts – and could lead to a prison sentence. Similar protection is also available for any same-sex domestic violence under the Domestic Violence Crime and Victims Act, 2004.

The purpose of these orders is to place restrictions on your partner so it is much harder for them to abuse you.

If you leave an abusive husband, wife or civil partner, our family law solicitors will also be able to help you apply for a divorce or judicial separation, as well as advising you on any other action you might need to take.

Click here  for further practical advice for victims of violence and harassment.

Click here for information about obtaining a court order against domestic violence

• FREEPHONE 0800 1404544

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message